Sunday, February 11, 2007

Class 1/30/07

In class on Jan 30 we learned about MAPping the internet in order to validate website. My group had the quite humorous Tree Octopus web page which was pretty obvious that it was fake. It was very interesting to run through the various exercises and dissect the website to learn about it. I feel I learned valuable tools that I will be able to apply in the future to determine a site's validity.

We also talked about how search engines order their hits. I feel this will be helpful in the future when I am searching for things on the internet. In the past I thought all websites ordered according to the page's relevance. Searchenginewatch.com is a very helpful site for learning about the different search engines. The one thing I haven't seen that I wish I could find is a listing/chart of the major search engines in one column and how they order their hits in another column. I may end up compiling this myself and posting it on here. If I am just missing it, someone tell me where it is please :)

No comments: