Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Other online resources

After we played around with dreamweaver the first day I started looking for what I felt was the best free website hosting service. This week in class Charlie shared with us www.envy.nu. If you have your pages already designed using a program such as Dreamweaver this seems to be a very nice service to use. If you are not looking for complete control and like using templates then you might want to consider the service I have found.

It is Microsoft Office Live. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officelive/default.aspx
It was free a week ago, but I see they are now doing a promo where you get $50 advertising credit when you sign up and there is a new account fee of $5. This is still very cheap and here is why. You get your own domain name free of charge. My website is www.thunderstruckkennel.com and I did not pay a dime! You also get custom email free! and you can create more than one email as well. So my email is clara@thunderstruckkennel.com.
Now there are a few limitations. I do not think you can upload your own pages. I do believe you have to use their builder. but they have a great variety of templates and color choices, etc, etc, etc. And they offer some additional services with an upgraded account.

If you are just creating a website for the sake of this class and your portfolio then the $5 may not be worth it to you, but if you want to create a website for school, personal, home business, etc then you should check it out. However for those of us who do not have daily access to dreamweaver or even want the hassle of the more complicated programs, but still want a professional looking result it does the job.

Oh and I forgot to mention: NO ADS!!!! (or pop-ups). The only add is a small logo for Microsoft office on the very bottom of the pages. check my site and and see what you think. But pardon the mess I barely had time to get it started and have many incomplete pages.

1 comment:

Missi Downs said...

Clara,
Thank you so much for sharing! I will definitely try this out.
missi